All golfers must know how to clean golf shoes. Similar to your clubs and other gears, it requires utmost care and attention.
After all, it can help you feel more on top of your game with a golf shoe that provides comfort.
Without further ado, let’s dive into the simple steps of how to clean golf shoes.
How to Clean Golf Shoes
What is the best way to clean golf shoes? When playing a round, it is inevitable to face hazards that make our golf shoes prone to dirt and stain.
Leather and synthetic materials comprise the majority of golf shoes, which costs a significant amount of money.
You wouldn’t want it to get ruined because of neglect in care and cleaning.
By knowing the best ways to clean golf shoes, you can prolong the condition of its appearance and performance.
Pre-Round Shoe Care
One of the most vital steps in taking care of your shoes but also often overlooked is using a shoehorn.
Make it a habit to use a shoe worn whenever you’re putting on your shoes before a round. By doing so, you can maintain the condition of the golf shoes’ heel counter.
What is the implication of a damaged heel counter? It may lead to blistering of your foot and improper fit and can cause discomfort throughout your game.
Step-by-Step Cleaning Process
What is the best way to clean golf shoes? Now, let’s get down to the business of cleaning your shoes.
Remove the shoelaces and insoles
One of the best ways to clean golf shoes for starters is to remove the shoelaces.
Never ever start cleaning your shoes without removing the laces. Also, remove the insoles if your shoes have removable ones.
Remove dirt and residue
The best ways to clean golf shoes is by using a mild soap or a specialized shoe cleaner. It can effectively remove any residue of dirt, sand, soil, grass, and dust.
This step is crucial in making sure to ease the washing process later on. Without initial rinsing, debris can get in the way of washing since it doubles your time cleaning.
Also, if you have white golf shoes, you can purchase specialized white shoe cleaners. This cleaning material ensures that there will be no scuff marks left in your golf shoe.
Wash the shoes
After removing all the dirt residue, it’s time to wash your shoes. What is the best way to clean golf shoes? Fill a basin with room temperature water and mix it with mild soap or shoe cleaner.
Since some golf shoes are lighter in color, you have to make sure that these shoes are thoroughly cleaned.
Especially for white shoes, you have to make sure that you use a shoe cleaner specialized for white shoes.
After washing, leave your golf shoes to dry at room temperature. Don’t dry it using a machine and especially not under the sun. It can damage the fit of your golf shoes.
Use leather oil
Using leather oil after washing is what is the best way to clean golf shoes. You have to treat and polish them to maintain its shine.
Applying a single drop of leather oil on the uppers and outer soles are enough to keep its shine. Then, wipe it using a polishing cloth and apply them evenly on both golf shoes.
Doing this process also ensures that your shoes will not crack and wear out quickly.
Here are some guidelines on how to clean golf shoes when it comes to insole care:
- Don’t forget to place crumpled paper, newspaper, or foam inside your shoes 8 to 10 hours prior to cleaning.
- As much as possible, try to clean the insoles quickly.
- Always remove the insole of your golf shoes if it’s removable before washing.
- Always remove the shoelaces of your golf shoes before cleaning.
- Never dry your golf shoes using drying machines such as blowdryers.
Here are some guidelines on how to clean golf shoes when it comes to insole care:
- Make sure to wipe dirt off non-leather outsoles after playing a round.
- Make sure that all the cleats of your golf shoes are intact to its receptacles.
- Storing your golf shoes in the car trunk can break down its outsole materials.
Different Types of Golf Shoe Cleaning and Care
There are different types of golf shoes, and each of them requires different ways of how to clean your golf shoes.
Let’s take a brief look at this in this section.
Leather or Synthetic Golf Shoes
After every round, wipe your leather or synthetic golf shoes using a shoe cleaner or mild soap. Allow them to dry before hitting the course again.
White Golf Shoes
Use a white shoe cleaner to remove any scuff marks on your white golf shoes. Doing so would also ensure that you’re properly conditioning its leather material.
Dark Golf Shoes
For dark-colored golf shoes, you must use a combination of a regular shoe cleaner and a color shoe cream.
It will allow you to maintain the color of your leather golf shoe and condition it with efficiency.
Wet Golf Shoes
When the weather is bad, or you just played a hazard round, your shoes can accumulate debris and particles.
Mud, sand, and other particles can wet your golf shoes and make it murky.
In this case, you have to make sure to wipe it clean after playing a round. It can be handy to have a readily-mixed mild soap and water in a container to use for wiping your shoes.
Use a cloth to wipe it clean and make sure to remove all dirt and grass. If necessary, you can also unscrew the spikes of your golf shoes to remove any trapped particles.
Then, once you go home, make sure to insert a crumpled newspaper inside the shoes to absorb damaging moisture.
Mesh Golf Shoes: Hand Washing vs. Machine Washing
Mesh golf shoes are one of the most comfortable types of golf shoes.
It provides fresh comfort, especially when playing under a hot weather condition. How to clean golf shoes that are mesh?
There are ways to do this: hand washing and machine washing.
- Mix mild soap with water and soak your golf shoes for several minutes.
- Scrub any dirt or stain using a soft brush or a clean rag.
- Dip another cloth or rag in cold water. Use that to remove all the soap residue by dabbing it on the shoe.
- Air-dry the mesh golf shoe at room temperature.
- Remove the shoelaces and insoles of your golf shoe.
- Similar to hand washing, wipe it with a cloth soaked in soapy water and scrub stain using a soft brush or a clean rage.
- Place it in a washing bag before putting it in the washing machine.
- Set it on a gentle cycle and air-dry at room temperature.
As much as the process of how to clean golf shoes, you also have to know the essential post-cleaning care. Here are some tips on golf shoe cleaning after-care.
Here are the two things you need to ensure the proper storage condition of your golf shoes:
- Golf shoe bag: This will ensure that your shoes are safe and clean in-between rounds and transport. There are also golf shoe bags with a well-ventilated design that prevents the build-up of moisture.
- Cedar shoe trees: This material works best in absorbing excess moisture from sweat and particles left in your shoes. It also helps maintain its shape and prevent the build-up of odor.
Remember that direct sunlight and extreme heat can damage your golf shoes. Hence, you have to store them in a shaded space with room temperature.
Replacing the Spikes
After every round, don’t forget to check the condition of the spikes of your golf shoes.
Even though plastic spikes are great for comfort in navigating the course, they can wear down over time. Always have replacement spikes in your golf bag in cases like this.
More Tips & Guidelines
Again, knowing how to clean golf shoes is just as important as knowing how to clean other golf gear. It is essential to know the most essential cleaning tips to ensure its longevity of use.
Here are some additional tips that you have to remember and apply in caring for your shoes:
- Bring two pairs of shoes with you during a game. You can also try rotating the shoes you wear between rounds so as not to wear them out.
- Do not overtighten the cleats of your golf shoes.
- Always use a shoehorn whenever you put on your golf shoes.
- Do not place your golf shoes inside your car trunk.
- Use shoe trees in-between rounds to absorb moisture.
- Only use a designated shoe polish with the same color to cover golf shoe scuff marks.
- Only air-dry your golf shoes after washing.
How to clean golf shoes may seem like a simple task.
However, it’s easy to forget all the intricate and essential steps over time as your game progresses.
Remember, a well-maintained golf shoe can help improve your game as much as other golf equipment.
This guide can help you along the way in making a change in your golf shoe cleaning routine.
Last Updated on December 4, 2023 by Paul Roger Steinberg